Thursday 13 June 2013

Day 560 - K9 and Company



And so it had come to this. For the first time in 560 days I was NOT going to watch a Doctor Who episode!

 
When I first decided to begin this challenge I made the somewhat foolish decision to include the spin off series. I felt that this was needed as they do sometime intertwine with the main show and therefore it would feel wrong to not include them. As such I decided to include Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures.

 
This led to another small problem. If I were to watch the Sarah Jane Adventures then I would also have to watch this attempted spin off from the 1980s, K9 and Company. This was essential as it explains how K9 comes to be living with Sarah Jane Smith as seen in The Sarah Jane Adventures.

 
Therefore having my plan in mind I set off on my Doctor Who quest in 2011. To be honest I never dreamed of actually reaching this far without a single failure and so when it came to sit down to watch K9 and company I did so with some reluctance. Even though this was the plan from the start I felt like I was failing. I technically can no longer say I’ve watched a Doctor Who episode every day now as there was this one day of watching the spin off and that bothers me a little.

 
However it has at least given me something vaguely interesting to talk about. I’m becoming concerned that this blog was becoming too much about me simply reciting back what happened in the story which isn’t what I want from it. As such I’ve hardly mentioned the actual story here as this is the sort of blog entry I want to do. More about how I’m getting on in the quest rather than the stories themselves.

 
The story itself is ok I guess. K9 is given to Sarah Jane by the Doctor (off screen, he leaves it at her house) and soon they are investigating a strange cult. Joining them is a young boy called Brendon who was actually a fairly good actor I thought. It seems a shame therefore that he was cast in this one off story rather than Adric in the main show. He would have made a good Adric.

 
It also seems strange that John Nathan Turner, the producer of both this and the main show, hated K9 so much that he had him written out of virtually every Doctor Who story but then goes on to create a spin off series for him!

 
Despite the fact the show is called K9 and Company, it feels more like Sarah Jane is the main character. This would then lead on to The Sarah Jane Adventures many, many years down the line!

 
One last thing I have to say..BEST....THEME....TUNE....EVER!!


No comments:

Post a Comment