Wednesday 29 January 2014

Day 789 - The Unicorn and the Wasp



A lot of people don't like this one but for me this is one of the highlights of this season. The Doctor meets Agatha Christie! How can you not like that??

I am a little obsessed with Agatha Christie at the moment having speeded through several Poirot stories and loved every one. Honestly if you've never read The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd then I implore you to give it a try. I read it in two days which for me is incredible as I'm a slow reader. I very much agree with the Doctor when he says it would be brilliant to meet Agatha Christie.

This is also one of the strongest episodes for Donna as she has some great comedy moments, my favourite one being when she somehow convinces herself that Noddy may actually exist.

Basically the Doctor and Donna join in a party at an old house where suddenly people start being murdured one by one pretty much in the style of one of Christie's own novels. Therefore everyone turns to her to help find the guilty culprit.

The revelation of the killer is very well played with it seeming that everyone is a suspect, even poor Donna and Agatha herself. 

Another fun thing about this episode is the hunt for the Agatha Christie book titles which are slipped into the script. I didn't pick up on this at first but it makes repeated viewings all the more interesting.

And if that wasn't exciting enough there's also the brilliant Christopher Benajmin playing a key role in the story. Christopher is best known to Doctor Who fans as playing the classic character of Henry Gordon Jago in the fourth Doctor story The Talons Of Weng Chiang. It's great to see him on telly again as I'm just enjoying the audio adventures of Jago and Litefoot which Big Finish are in the process are making. Anyway I'm going way off on a tangent now.

Yes so this episode is very good!

No comments:

Post a Comment