Monday 2 December 2013

Days 729 to 730 - Army Of Ghosts / Doomsday



Watching Doctor Who in a pub! Why have I never done this for the previous 728 days of my challenge! Well I guess because I haven't had the opportunity and secondly it would turn me into a raving alcoholic!

On Wednesday 20th November (yes that's how far behind with this blog I am!) The White Horse in Nantwich had a Doctor Who night in the run up to the big 50th anniversary special on the Saturday. The plan was to watch one episode for every Doctor! That day I had just watched Army Of Ghosts so Ben joked that I probably wouldn't fancy watching Doomsday (which was one of the Tennant episodes on the list of potential ones to watch) as I would then have to watch the same episode again the next day! However fortune smiled on me when it turned out that we reached the tenth Doctor at about 23:50 and everyone was kind enough and understanding enough to hold off the next episode for 10 minutes so that it would officially be the next day. Yes my OCD would not allow cheating of even 10 minutes!

So that was a cool experience. I got to watch Doctor Who with other people. It was almost like I had friends for a moment. I'm kidding of course, I have no time for friends when there are 900 days of Doctor Who and related spin offs to watch! I have my priorities absolutely spot on!



On top of all that I met a nice lady who hadn't even come for the Doctor Who night but it turns out she used to work on Doctor Who during Tom Baker's time! She had been in the TARDIS and everything. I tried to hide my jealousy as best I could and act all cool. I think I pulled it off.

Rose Tyler: Planet Earth. This is where I was born. And this is where I died. For the first nineteen years of my life nothing happened. Nothing at all. Not ever. And then I met a man called The Doctor. A man who could change his face. And he took me away from home in his magical machine. He showed me the whole of time and space. I thought it would never end. That's what I thought. But then came the Army of Ghosts, then came Torchwood and the war. And that's when it all ended. This is the story of how I died.

So this is the finale to series 2 (or season 28 as it should correctly be called! Why does no one listen to me??). We finally get to find out more about the mysterious Torchwood that everyone has been banging on about all series. They are the organisation set up by Queen Victoria and tasked with gathering up all the alien space junk they can in order to arm the human race against the future. I've just realised I'm getting way ahead of myself here and pretty much quoting Captain Jack from the spin off series of Torchwood when he says the same lines at the start of every episode which gets annoying much more quickly than you may imagine.

Mysterious ghosts are appearing around the world, with people believing they are their lost loved ones returning to them. The Doctor believes otherwise though and after finding a "void ship" in Torchwood realises that these ghosts are creatures coming through from a parallel world using the gap that the void ship has created when bursting through into our world. It soon becomes evident that these ghosts are really Cybermen!! But the twist is that the Cybermen don't have the technology to have created the ship. But they didn't create the ship, the ship created the hole and they simply followed through. So what's in the ship? It's only the bloody Daleks!! Daleks and Cybermen in the same story. When I first saw this I thought I was going to explode.

Pretty soon the Daleks and Cybermen have an hilarious stand off with the Cybermen offering the idea of an alliance. Of course the Daleks are having none of that and pretty soon there is an all out war going on!

As well as the Cybermen coming through, Pete Tyler, Micky and Jake also travel through to our world and here it suddenly becomes clear as to why alternative universe Jackie was killed off in the precious episode as now we have both a Jackie and Pete who are alone and therefore a perfect match for each other. Science fiction is awesome!

Whilst all this is going on we have the resolution of Rose's time in the series and her departure is pretty heartbreaking I have to admit. It has less of an impact of me now but when I first saw this I was pretty devastated at the way she is written out of the series. Having decided he can open up the void and suck all the Cybermen and Daleks through it, the Doctor tells Rose she needs to go back with her Mum and Dad etc to the other world where she will be safe. She refuses to leave the Doctor and the others zap back to the other world without her.

Unfortunately with the void open and Daleks and Cybermen sweeping into it Rose loses her grip of the handle she is holding on to and falls. Fortunately ( and I must say, inexplicably!) Pete arrives in time to whip her back to the other world before the doorway closes for good. The Doctor and Rose have been permanently separated. Well until series 4 (season 30 dammit!) where they completely ruin this ending by bringing Rose back. But I'm not talking about that yet.

The Doctor finds one small gap which has not yet closed which comes out on a lonely beach in Norway where he can at least say goodbye to Rose, the companion who helped him overcome the horrors of the Time War. Rose finally admits to loving the Doctor (as if we didn't know) and just as he is about to say the same thing (at least I think that it what he was going to say!) the rift closes and he is left all alone in the TARDIS and crying. Aww.

But to emphasise the fact the the Doctor's adventures never stop, even after this heartbreaking moment, the Doctor looks up to see Catherine Tate standing in his TARDIS, wearing a wedding dressing and yelling at him. I did not see that one coming when I first watched this I must admit. However there is now going to be a short break before I move on to the Christmas episode as I take my longest ever break from Doctor Who in nearly 2 years! It's time for Torchwood! God help me! I must keep telling myself that it does get better, it does get better. Well more specifically it gets better, then it gets absolutely bloody awesome and then it gets mediocre. I can't wait! 

No comments:

Post a Comment