Thursday 28 November 2013

Day 728 - Fear Her

Do you all remember the opening of the 2012 Olympics? That glorious moment when David Tennant came running into the stadium with the torch to light the flame and start the games? No? Well neither to I! And thank God for that!

This episode was broadcast in 2006 but was set in 2012 and the year of the London Olympics. I guess the advantage of having stories set in the near future is that you don't have to worry too much about predicting the change if technology etc and so can present a world which is pretty much the same as our own. That being said I'm guessing this must have been made before the official logo of the Olympics was revealed as it is no where to be seen which is a shame. Although it was a ridiculous logo and since someone pointed out to me that it looks like Lisa Simpson given someone a blowjob then I've never been able to see it as anything else. Seriously! Look it up and you will see what I mean. And once you see it you will never be able to unsee it. I'm also aware that this is the second blog entry in a row where I've wondered on to the subject of oral sex. Says a lot for my mind set at the moment. Anyway...

I'd say this was the weakest episode of this series and could easily be skipped but that is not the nature of my quest. I have to take the rough with the smooth. An alien has taken possession of a lonely little girl and has given the girl the power to trap other children inside drawings. It's implied she is doing this to find more and more friends and eventually leads to a pretty cringeworthy moment when she manages to make everyone inside the Olympic stadium vanish leaving a perplexed newsreader, Huw Edwards to wonder his colleague has gone "not you to Bob???" Oh dear lord!

The alien can leave in its tiny little ship but only if it is powered by heat and love. The Olympic torch! After the guy carrying the torch falls, the Doctor appears from nowhere and runs into the stadium with the torch to light the flame and send the alien home. Some people were actually beginning to think that this scene may have been re enacted during the real opening ceremony. Thankfully we were spared it. 

The highlight of the episode comes at the very end (and no I'm not talking about the blessed relief of the episode being over) when Rose says that no one will ever be able to split her up from the Doctor to which the Doctor looks up ominously at the sky and says he feels something coming...a storms approaching.  Ohhhh its the two part season finale next!!!

2 comments:

  1. The only positive thing that sticks in my head about this story is the council worker and even that "council" joke gets laboured by the end of the scene.

    I think this was the first time the writer had written for Dr Who and you can tell, David Tennant eating jam with his fingers to show how alien he is doesn't work, running with the olympic torch is just an ego trip that doesn't work, scribble monsters just don't F***ING WORK!

    Pass the mind bleach.......

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jam thing just really confused me. I don't really understand what the point of it was. I'm having a similar problem with Torchwood at the moment. Ianto mentions there's a lot of things you can do with a stopwatch before running off to do naughty things with Jack. Now I think I have a pretty filthy mind but I cannot think of where the hell the stopwatch comes into it!

    ReplyDelete