Tuesday 11 March 2014

Day 835 - Vampires In Venice



I'm afraid to say that this is one of the weaker episodes of this series so instead of talking about it let's play a game!

Sometimes when I'm bored, I like to take two television programmes or films and try to find the connections between them by linking which actors have appeared in both. The reason I'm thinking of this now is that the woman who plays the lead vampire in this story also played Narcissa Malfoy in the Harry Potter movies. There really are an incredible amount of overlap between the two. So here goes..

Well first of all, two Doctors have been in Harry Potter, David Tennant and John Hurt!

John Cleese plays Nearly Headless Nick in Harry Potter and appeared in a cameo role in the 70s Doctor Who story, The City Of Death. Warwick Davis, Roger Lloyd Pack, Imelda Stauntan have also featured in both.

Michael Gambon (Dumbledore himself!) will be appearing in the Christmas special that I am soon due to watch.

The following episode to Vampires In Venice features a villain known as the Dream Lord as played by Toby Jones. Toby was the voice of Dobby the house elf in the Harry Potter movies!

It's quite a fun game. You should try it.

Anyway, moving on to the episode in question (oh Mark Williams has been in both too!), Rory comes on board as a companion after the Doctor picks him up in the middle of his stag do. I always feels sorry for Rory. He completely dotes on Amy and she treats him pretty badly really. This is something that will at least get explored in more detail in later episodes.

Before watching this episode I watched the mini episode which fits in just before it when the Doctor decides to collect Rory and send him and Amy off on a romantic trip together. This mini episode is great and examines why the Doctor feels the need to travel with companions. His explanation is awesome when he goes on to describe how he sometimes struggles to see the wonder in things when he has already seen so much. In order to get some of this awe back, he brings people along on his journeys so that when they see it, he sees it too. I know how he feels. If there is a film that I absolutely love but have seen countless times then I always enjoy watching it with someone who has never seen it before because I get to feel some of that excitement again like I felt when I watched it for the very first time.

Julian Glover!! He was in two Doctor Who stories and was the voice of Aragog in Harry Potter. He was also in Star Wars. Now there's a whole new game!

No comments:

Post a Comment