Saturday 3 May 2014

Day 891 - The Bells Of Saint John


Finally the Doctor meets the "real" Clara. After being teased twice already that we were meeting the new companion we finally get to see her.

After the previous death of Clara in the Christmas special the Doctor has become obsessed with finding her again in order to solve the mystery of how she can keep reappearing in his life.

The Doctor has yet another change of costume, now wearing a sort of brown/purple frock coat...which I must admit that I now want for myself. The problem for me is that I never really attend any parties or events which require me to go in fancy dress so when I buy these Doctor Who related clothes they become my actual everyday clothes as opposed to a costume. And for the most part this is fine. AbbyShot, who make some fantastic Doctor Who replicas, don't simply make "costumes", these are very finely made clothes that can be worn on a day to day basis. I bought the tenth Doctor coat from them a while back and I must admit that this does not get much wear having been replaced by the green coat worn by the eleventh Doctor. I really want this purple coat, but I can't help but think that I wouldn't dare wear it!

Early on the episode we hear a character referred to as the mad monk and for a brief moment I thought we were going to see a return of The Meddling Monk! This in fact turns out to be the Doctor who has once again gone off into seclusion whilst he mulls over a way to find Clara again. 

This episode centres around an organisation which can upload people to the internet via the wifi. I think that is what it is about anyway, I'm a bit clueless when it comes to the internet! I couldn't help but wonder why this was being done but it is revealed that the Great Intelligence is once again behind it all and is gathering knowledge through this technique. It was quite a surprise to see Richard E Grant pop up again in the series as the Great Intelligence. His appearance in the Christmas episode had been given so much press that I assumed that was his only guest starring role.

When the Doctor becomes embroiled in events after rescuing Clara from a "spoon head" (a robot designed to upload the minds of people to the internet) he is soon racing across London on a cool little motorbike. Doctor's like their motorbikes. I think from memory the third, seventh, eighth and tenth Doctors have driven one at some point. Okay the tenth Doctor's one was actually a moped but that's close enough.

There was one potentially cool thing I noticed for the first time about this episode. As the organisation becomes aware of the Doctor, thay hack into all the cameras in London in an attempt to find the TARDIS. When they locate it, one character asks "Are we sure this time? We don't want the embarrassment of Earl's Court again". Now I'm not sure but this could be a reference to the TARDIS which shows up on google street view! Somewhere in Earl's Courth on google street view there is a police box which you can click on and then walk around the TARDIS. That's a very meta moment if that is indeed what they are referring to.

As things start to fall apart around them, the Great Intelligence decides to cut all links with the organisation and as he informs the leader of this she comments that "You've been whispering in my ear for so long. I'm not sure what I was before". As this quest comes to an end there are certain lines which resonate with me and this was one of them. I've been watching Doctor Who every day for the last two and a half years..I've forgotten what my life was before this! 


No comments:

Post a Comment