Wednesday 7 May 2014

Day 895 - Journey To The Centre Of The TARDIS


When the TARDIS is captured by a ship scouring the galaxy for junk, Clara is lost within it's many corridors and it's up to the Doctor and the Baalen brothers to find and rescue from the strange zombie like creatures roaming the ship.

First of all I have to point out the obvious. That title is so bloody exciting! Since the series was revived, fans have longed to see more of the TARDIS than the console room that we see nearly every week. For a ship which is sometimes considered to be infinite in size then there are so many possibilities for exciting discoveries within it's many rooms.

There are many moments to please long time fans, with sighting of the famous swimming pool (although it now looks a lot more elaborate since Leela took a dip in it) to echoes of previous companions and Doctors heard throughout the episode. One such moment occurs when one of the Baalen brothers decides to dismantle the central control unit and we hear echoes going right back to the very first episode of Susan describing how the TARDIS got its name. This is quite touching for me as I approach the final day of this challenge, to hear all these memories played back to me of previous adventures.

The Doctor also has a chance to confront Clara as to her indentity. As he screams at her that he thinks she is either a trick or a trap, her terror is clear to see and the Doctor realises that she actually has no idea what he is talking about. She is just a normal woman so how can he keep meeting her throughout time and space. 

The zombie creatures are also a cool idea. Having their features completely burnt away makes it a mystery as to who or what they are. The Doctor seems to know but does not want to let on. When I first saw this episode I began to wonder if they were some kind of hideous creation left over from his previous regenerations. So every time he regenerates, his previous form is somehow mutated into one of these horrible creatures and left to roam the corridors in torment. Whilst this would have been a neat idea (if I say so myself) it would be pretty depressing to think that this is the eventual fate for all of the Doctors. Anyway this isn't what they turn out to be anyway so it's all fine.

Whilst I don't rate this episode very highly, it's still a fairly enjoyable watch. I think for a casual viewer it may seem a little boring as most of the fun comes from noticing these nods to the past. We even get to see the eye of harmony again! Awesome! Plus it further validates the TV movie idea that the eye is now a feature of every TARDIS as well as being the source of all power on Gallifrey. Wow! I've just heard myself saying that in my head and realised how incredibly nerdy I am. Oh well, after 895 days I guess it's too late to change back now!


No comments:

Post a Comment