Monday 19 August 2013

Days 620 to 621 - Resurrection Of The Daleks


Now here was a problem..How to watch this story?

I believe it was originally filmed as a four part story but when it was due to clash with another television show it was decided to edit the four episodes into two 45 minute episodes and broadcast it as a two parter. So should I watch it over 2 days? The DVD release has the story in four 23 minute episodes as originally planned though so should I watch it as four episodes over four days?

Fortunately the decision was sort of made for me several weeks ago when I was planning ahead to the very end of the quest. As I wanted to end on a Saturday I looked into how I could make this happen without cheating. To knock two episodes out was ideal so therefore I was going to watch Resurrection Of The Daleks as a two part story.

So that is what I did. It felt a little uncomfortable as the DVD had the four part version and therefore I effectively had to watch two episodes a night. Also to my annoyance I found out too late that the re-release of this story, that I do not own, had the two part and four part versions so would have been brilliant to have had at the time.

Anyway, my manipulation of the episodes aside, I suppose I should say something about the story itself.

This story has one of the highest death counts in any episode! That's not including such stories where planets get wiped out or parts of the galaxy destroyed (how could we forget the Master's botched plan in Legopolis when he inadvertently wiped out a fair chunk of the galaxy!). I heard somewhere that there are approximately 70 deaths in this story. If that's true then that averages out as a death every 1.3 minutes!

The Daleks rescue Davros from his prison ship when they once again need his help. This time they need him to help cure a disease created by the Movellons (in a nice throwback to Destiny Of The Daleks) which is killing off the Daleks. Knowing that the Daleks will eventually turn on him once again, Davros secretly sets out to create a new race of Daleks which are loyal to him. This all leads to some cool Dalek vs Dalek battles and is actually the origin of future Dalek stories when the creatures are divided into two distinct factions, those loyal to Davros and those loyal to the Emperor Dalek.

I've seen this one a few times and I'm always determined to enjoy it. It starts off well but seems to fall apart near the end when things descend into anarchy and I lose track of whose side everyone is supposed to be on. This is not helped by the fact that some people change sides throughout the story. To quote one such character, "I can't stand the confusion in my mind!!!!"

As much as I feel that things fall apart near the end, there are still two fantastic moments that stand out to me. The first is when the Doctor returns to the TARDIS, picks up a weapon from one of the soldiers and announces his intention to kill Davros. It feels really shocking but not out of character as it is clear the Doctor can see no alternative and knows that Davros has to be stopped one way or another. Returning to Davros' lab with the two soldiers, Davros mistakenly believes that the Doctor is being held captive by the soldiers until the Doctor takes one of the weapons, levels it at Davros' head and announces "I'm not here as your prisoner Davros...but your executioner!" It gives me goosebumps just thinking about it!

The second moment that stands out to me is the very end of the story. As Tegan surveys the devastation around her she realises that she has reached the end of her time with the Doctor. She has witnessed too many good people dying and can't continue. For a companion departure it feels truly heartbreaking! Usually companions leave because they have found something better but here Tegan leaves simply because travelling in the TARDIS has become to unbearable for her. It's so sad.

Brave heart Tegan. I shall miss you.

No comments:

Post a Comment